Saturday, May 9, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

It seems that most of my days have been turned on their ear lately.I usually go from totally elation to complete devastation, but I'm getting used to expecting the unexpected.
Take this past Monday, for example. I went to Hilo High School early in the morning to help the PTSA host a Teacher Appreciation Fiesta. I was elated at how successful the event turned out. My happiness, however, turned to despair when I arrived home in the early afternoon and found my teenage son burning up with a 103 degree fever and writhing in pain. I quickly took him down to Urgent Care, where the doctor informed me that he might be suffering from viral meningitis. That meant a hastened trip to Hilo Medical Center's Emergency Room, where I was assured they could test him quickly and efficiently. Well, the quick part of the equation didn't happen, as we sat in the waiting room for nearly three hours (I'm still scratching my head at how the ER can keep someone with possible meningitis in the waiting room to contaminate others). We had a great doctor to aid us once he was put in a room. She ordered blood work, a cat scan, and a lung x-ray. Turns out he's the perfect specimen of health, probably suffering from an innocuous virus, and, he did confess to sneaking into the river and doing a massive back flop into the water. The hard hit really put his back out. He got a good heartfelt scolding from his dad, and the doctor and me (we have forbade him from EVER going in the river) before leaving the ER at 11:30 p.m. I took him to my chiropractor, Dr. Stacy Nagareda, the next day, where he's done a great deal to help bring his back into alignment. Blessedly, my son is in top physical condition and is responding well to his treatments. It's hard to believe only five days have passed since that horrible day and he's already playing great volleyball. My elation was brought back up tonight as my son's volleyball team beat Pahoa High School and are now going on to the finals tomorrow night at 6 p.m. at Waiakea High School Gym. Come out and cheer if you can. Just know, that if you're around me you might want to expect the unexpected!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are not a spammer I promise to post your comment as soon as possible